Larson, Blumenthal, Murphy, DeLauro, Esty Announce Over $3 Million to Support Fire Departments and Emergency Services in Avon, Windsor Locks, New Hartford, Middletown, Waterbury, & Branford
Today, U.S. Representatives John Larson (CT-1), Rosa DeLauro (CT-3), and Elizabeth Esty (CT-5), and U.S. Senators Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) and Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) announced Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Assistance to Firefighter Grants (AFG) and Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) awards totaling $3,251,466.
This federal funding will support fire departments and emergency medical services (EMS) in Avon, Middletown, Waterbury, Branford, New Hartford and surrounding towns, and the Connecticut Fire Academy in Windsor Locks.
“These FEMA grants provide much-needed support to fire departments and EMS across the state—giving them the ability to hire new firefighters and EMTs, purchase new equipment, and expand training. Firefighters put their lives on the line to save others, and these investments in our fire departments go a long way in ensuring that our first responders do their jobs safely and effectively. We will continue to push for robust funding for these federal grant programs that support our first responders,” said Blumenthal, Murphy, DeLauro, Larson, and Esty.
A full breakdown of the funding is below:
ASSISTANCE TO FIREFIGHTER GRANTS
- Avon, CT: $ 277,286 for firefighter breathing apparatus.
- Connecticut Fire Academy, Windsor Locks, CT: $ 420,466 for training props / simulators, firefighter protective gear, and a protective gear washer.
- New Hartford Ambulance, New Hartford, CT: $ 178,182, a REGIONAL award to New Hartford Ambulance, Bantam Fire Co., Canton Volunteer Fire & EMS, Harwinton Ambulance, Norfolk Fire Dept., Simsbury Ambulance, and Winsted Area Ambulance, for 13 - automatic chest compression devices.
- South Fire District of Middletown, CT: $ 145,381 for firefighter breathing apparatus.
- Waterbury, CT: $ 170,073 for firefighting hose & nozzles.
- Waterbury, CT: $ 595,455 for a new fire pumper truck.
STAFFING FOR ADEQUATE FIRE AND EMERGENCY RESPONSE
- Branford, CT: $ 1,464,623 to hire 8 new firefighters.