Military Academy Nominations
* How and when to Apply: The deadline for our office receiving your COMPLETED application for nomination is October 18, 2021 at 5 PM. Interviews will be conducted on November 18th, 2021. For those in college, the same time frame applies.
*Admission to the Service Academies: Admission to the Academies is a two-tiered process. You must first receive a nomination from your Congressman or Senator, and then your application will be reviewed by the Academy for final appointment/admission to the respective Academy.
*Candidates of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
* Where to send questions: email@example.com / 860-278-8888 ph.
This application process is for a nomination, and is separate from the application you must complete for the academies. We also encourage you to apply for nomination with your U.S. Senators.
The service academies should be contacted earlier in the calendar year to request candidate information sent directly to your home:
Air Force Academy:
Air Force Academy Admissions Office
HQ USAFA/RRS, 2304 Cadet Drive, Suite 200
USAF Academy, CO 80840-5025
U.S. Military Academy:
Director of Admissions (West Point)
United States Military Academy
600 Thayer Road
West Point, NY 10996-9902
United States Naval Academy
Candidate Guidance Office
117 Decatur Road
Annapolis, MD 21402-5018
Merchant Marine Academy:
United States Merchant Marine Academy
Kings Point, NY 11024-9997
Congressman Larson’s Academy interviews will be held AFTER November 18th.
* You must be at least 17 but not yet 23 years old on July 1 of the year you wish to enter, be unmarried and have no legal obligation to support any child or person.
* There will be physical aptitude and medical testing requirements to qualify.
* Congressional nomination does not guarantee acceptance to the service academies, but only assures that your application will be considered first by the review boards. Your application to each academy you are considering should be completed during or before the winter of your senior year.
* Academically, the majority of students accepted to the academies are in at least the top 20% of their class, with higher than average test scores in Math and English.
* Most students who receive appointment offers are active at school and in their community, and hold some leadership roles in sports and other extracurricular activities.
The honor of attending a service academy comes with the obligation and commitment to serve in the military for a minimum of five years upon graduation. For more information, please review the page of Frequently Asked Questions for those seeking a Military Academy Nomination.
The application is now open for 2021. Please fill out the form below. Please send in the form below along with the following to:
221 Main St.
Attn: Kim Harris
Hartford, CT 06106
PLEASE SEND ALL MATERIALS IN ONE PACKET, DO NOT SEND EVERYTHING SEPARATELY.
If you have any questoins, please call 860-278-8888 to speak to Kim Harris. It is preferred that the student applying to the Academy calls for him or herself.
Dear Nomination Candidate:
The process of applying for Congressman Larson’s nomination to America’s service academies is exciting yet complex and challenging. Our office is eager to learn all about you. However, please be aware that the timely submission, completeness, accuracy, and appearance of your application are all important parts of the selection process. Be sure to carefully read and follow the guidelines outlined below. Above all, keep in mind that mail does get lost from time to time; please keep a copy of all documents that you submit to our office. Thank you.
1. Application Form: Complete and return the application form, along with an essay (see #4). Please attach a small photograph of yourself to the application. The form can be found below.
2. Official Academic Transcript: Provide a copy of your official academic transcript(s) (high school(s) and/or college). Be sure that all transcripts are originals bearing your school’s official seal. Please send us updated transcripts as final grades become available.
(College students are required to submit both high school and university transcripts.)
3. SAT or ACT Scores: Submit all available scores. These scores are often included on your transcript. If this is not the case, please submit a copy of your results with your application or arrange for them to be sent to our office. Our ACT code is 7309 and our SAT code is 3478.
4. Essay: The essay prompt and the essay confirmation form are found here. Please be sure to inclue the signed form in your completed application packet along with your essay.
5. Letters of Recommendation: Obtain recommendations from three people (other than relatives) who know you well and can comment on your character, scholastic ability, etc. Recommendations can be from teachers, guidance counselors, employers, coaches, neighbors, or anyone you feel can honestly evaluate you as a person. Please give each of your designated recommenders one of the “Recommendation Forms” which can be found here. Please instruct him or her to return their recommendations to you in an envelope with their signature across the seal. All three are to be submitted with your application by October 18, 2021. On the please provide the names and contact information of those people whom you expect to write your recommendations on the first page of the letter of recommnedation supplement.
6. Apply to the Academy directly: Contact the appropriate Service Academy and begin their application process. This initiates a file in your name at the Academy and permits the Academy to begin evaluating your candidacy.
1. All required documents must be submitted to Congressman Larson’s office no later than October 18, 2021 at 5 PM for you to be considered for a nomination for admission in 2023. The office is located at: 221 Main Street, Second Floor, Hartford, Connecticut, 06106. This deadline will not be extended. There are no exceptions.
2. Please be sure to submit all documents to our office as a complete file.
3. You will be asked to appear for a personal interview. Our Hartford District office will contact you to schedule the interview.
4. If, after applying for a nomination, you decide you are no longer interested in an appointment, please notify our office.
5. It is not necessary to take the Academy Review Board’s Physical Aptitude Exam until the Academy requests you to do so. After you receive a nomination, if you appear to be qualified based on the facts in your Pre-Candidate file, the Academy will make an appointment for you to be examined.